Friday, July 10, 2009

saving an old friend (trying, at least)


i'm a huge fan of trying to make a pair of shoes last for more than one season - which is a pretty big feat (not feet) after they are beat to sh*t on the streets of manhattan. i have always made it my mission to find a top notch cobbler wherever i live and they can usually work magic and whip up a resole or repair in no time for a reasonable price.

so when the strap started to come loose from my ultimate absolute favorite numero uno amaaaaazing nude leather steve madden t-straps after a solid summer and a half, i didn't panic. that is, until i got to the cobbler. he took one look at them and said "it's not worth it." so: 1) that particular cobbler is elevated in my book since he gave me an honest answer instead of taking my money and 2) i went straight to my computer to scour the internets so i could re-buy the same shoes. and they are NOWHERE. TO. BE. FOUND.

but there is some good news to come of this - i found a really great (and pretty similar) pair made by dolce vita (called the able) on endless.com - for $25 less than anywhere else and with free overnight shipping (thank you zappos for starting that trend). they're really comfy, i love the basket situation on the heel and they're sleek/minimal enough in the front that they don't make me look any stumpier than i already am.

in the meantime, i've also whipped out the krazy glue to make my ole' faves last just a tiny bit longer. they're reserved for special occasions, of course, and i have a backup pair of flops in my purse just in case there's a sidewalk blowout.

No comments: